Attention Carriers! Operation Safe Driver is happening Oct 19-25
First held in 2007, the annual Operation Safe Driver event is an... Read More
Retail Visit Review: Looking ahead to October
September, in many ways, is a transition month. Some days may feel... Read More
How to Prevent Rear-End Crashes, with a Pop Quiz!
According to Great West Casualty Company, there are four types of critical... Read More
Blogging the Road Ahead
10 Tips on TWIC Card Enrollment
Having been around for several years now, the necessity of a TWIC (the Transportation Worker Identification Credential) for drivers needing unescorted access to secure areas of US ports is common knowledge. To obtain a TWIC card, criminal background checks and threat evaluations are performed. The application process can be long and a bit complicated. First off, to complete an application, drivers need to visit the TSA TWIC Website.
Here are some basic helpful hints when applying for a TWIC:
1. Pre-enrollment is not required. But, it does help speed up the application processing time vs. waiting at an Enrollment Center for an available time slot. You can pre-enroll online or via telephone at 1-866-DHS-TWIC. Pre-enrolling allows you to select a date and appointment time best suited for your schedule.
2. You will need to pick a single TWIC Enrollment Center for the entire process. You are required to pick up and activate your card from the same location where you enrolled.
3. With few exceptions, TWIC Enrollment Centers DO NOT have tractor-trailer parking available. You may be able to find parking for a bobtail; it is best to travel to an enrollment center by car if possible.
4. To enroll, you will need the following pieces of information:
- Name, Date of Birth, address, contact information
- Employment information
- Current and previous mailing address
- Height, weight, hair, and eye color
- City, State, Country of birth
- Alien Registration Number (if applicable)
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and state of application of any Hazardous Material Endorsement (HME) held
- Social Security Number
5. When you arrive at the Enrollment Center, you must have appropriate documents to verify your identity. The best example is to have an unexpired U.S. Passport, your CDL and actual Social Security card.
6. At the Enrollment Center, once your identity is verified and ALL required questions are answered, you will have your fingerprints taken electronically.
7. Payment is required next, and a TWIC costs $137.50 or $105.25 for HME or FAST card holders that have received this designation in the past 12 months. Enrollment centers DO NOT accept cash or personal checks for payment. You must pay with a credit card (Visa/MasterCard), money order, certified check or corporate check.
8. You will be notified via phone or email when your TWIC is ready. The time between enrollment and issuing of the TWIC card varies from center to center depending on the volume of applications being processed.
9. When you return to the enrollment center to pick up your card, an electronic fingerprint will be taken again to verify your identity. You will also need your Personal Identification Number, which was issued at time of enrollment.
10. Besides your travel time to an Enrollment Center, if you use the appointment system, it should not take more than 15 minutes of your time for each visit necessary to get a TWIC.
UWT is constantly looking for TWIC carded carriers! We have loads daily out of Port Hueneme, CA. If you are a TWIC carded carrier, call us today to get signed up!