Summer is finally here in the Lower Mainland! We have been waiting a long time for it, and this is what our forecast looks like:
So, we will be taking our favorite seasonal fruits and veggies on picnics and to the beach, and will be following some advice on how to pick the best of the best:
- Cantaloupe – delicate aroma, a hint of yellow in the skin, thick texture and no stem.
- Cherries – smooth, shiny surfaces with new looking stems.
- Grapes – tender and plump, firmly attached to the stem. It’s ok for green grapes to be blushing.
- Honeydew – delicate aroma and a creamy yellow rind with a soft, velvety texture.
- Nectarines & peaches – firm and plump and white or yellow with blushing.
- Watermelon – cream colored underside and symmetrical shape.
- Carrots – bright orange and smooth & firm.
- Green beans – long pods that are straight and firm; crispy is best.
- Tomatoes – plump with a rich overall red color; a slight cushion and smooth surface.